Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Blog

It is with great excitement and trepidation that I have entered the blogosphere.  Excitement  because I have been wanting to create one for a while now.  I know that I am a verbal processor and ideas generally make sense to me when I hear myself.  This blog will be a journal of those ideas.  (Does this make me a textual processor?) There is also a sense of trepidation in starting a blog.  Critique and scrutiny are inherent liabilities while posting in cyberspace.  Already I have looked up the word 'trepidation' just to make sure that it is not mispelled and it is the right word I want to use to articulate my "consternation, butterflies, goosebumps, uneasiness, anxiety, worry."   

But this is one of the reasons that I am blogging.  I just graduated from University with a BA in History yet feel that my prose is not nearly where it needs to be and as an aspiring School teacher, this seems like a good forum to practice in, (is this a dangling participle?  I don't like much dangling things and what's a participle?).    

The title of this blog is semper reformanda.  It is part of the latin phrase 'Ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda est,' meaning, "the reformed church must always be reforming."  Presbyterians will recognize this as their Church motto.  The phrase's etymology however I have yet to discover.  Some say it came from Dutch Reformer Voetius while others say it was Martin Luther or John Calvin.  Despite it's origin, I thought it would be a good name for a blog and as a student of life, a good maxim to follow.  I guess I could have named it "always reforming" but the Latin version sounds better than the English.  






3 comments:

  1. Looks good Schro! I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to reading more. have you read the velvet elvis by rob bell? he starts off with the premise that we must always be reforming, repainting our faith. it's a good read. you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad i found your blog. and oh wow, your blog will be a great read - don't you worry! i mean, my blog is like 90% nonsense and 10% serious. i'm sure you'll have intellectual things to say and more interesting content.

    glad you're blogging, i'll be following for sure!

    ps, i have no idea what a "dangling participle" is. but i'm totally looking it up. . . thank God for google.

    manguy :)

    ReplyDelete