Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beggars CAN be Choosers

Have you ever been confronted with your own commonly held maxims?  Last week, as I pulled up to a stoplight, I saw a young man standing on the boulevard holding a sign that read: "Hungry and Homeless."  I had some food left over in my lunch that I thought he could have.  I stopped beside him and rolled down my window.  The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey man, all I have is half a sandwich

man:   that's fine.  It's not like I'm gonna say no.

Me:   Hope you don't mind, it's peanut butter and jam.

man: (gasp, pause...awkward)

Me: (immediately) ...unless you have a peanut allergy...

man: Oh, No thanks! (as he throws his head back),  I have eaten way too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I just can't eat them anymore, no way!  (chuckle, followed by some vague reference to consuming too much pbnj four years ago)

Me:  (gasp, pause...awkward) Alright, sorry man, take care. (green light)

I didn't know what to say or think.  I drove off baffled and confused, not knowing what to make of his sign and the non-transaction between us.  Be sure that I was not in the least bit offended by his rejection nor am I now  detracted from offering food to those who are 'homeless and hungry.'  Also, it is not my intention to make a moral judgement one way or the other about those who seek food and money in between passing cars. He did mention however that he wasn't going to decline anything I would give him.  So the question remains, "Was he really hungry in the first place?"   


8 comments:

  1. No bright comments from me - just thought this story was hilarious! Maybe he likes Sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could've been there to see the look on your face. Definatly would've been priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I had a similar experience when I offered someone at a stop light a protein bar. I usually try to keep change in the car for these occasions, but I admit the experience had a similar... uh, disillusionment? for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you had offered him a apartment to live in if he would have turned you down having spent too much time in an apartment a few years back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say...the guys got taste....LOL

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a subway gift card to keep in my wallet in case someone asked me for money or food. It took me a while to give it away cause i wasnt in the city much, but its finally gone, ill buy another one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately there isn't much imagination (or time, budgets, cooks, etc.) within the social service agencies, so some foods get repeated ad nauseum...literally. For me, there's a difference between being hungry and being hungry enough to eat a tomato (blech!). Or especially a protein bar, those things are foul. A number of times I have tried to eat Melissa's protein bars when there's nothing else in the house but have never been able to finish one.

    The concept that 'beggars can't be choosers' was created by those who have never had to beg.

    ReplyDelete